1 “Keirin-Kaikan” or the “Keirin Hall” is an old research institute for Nagasaki Commercial High School. 瓊林会館（旧長崎高商研究館）Kizo Hashimoto, who was the president of Hashimoto Steamship, donated “Keirin Hall” and the building was completed on November 23 in 1919 (Taisho 8) as a research institute. It was renamed to the Great East Asian Research Laboratory in 1942 (Showa 17). The building only received slight damage from the atomic bomb, and became Nagasaki University Faculty of Economics in 1949 (Showa 24) and was repaired in 1972 (Showa 47) and renamed Nagasaki University Keirin Hall. On April 1, 2004 (Heisei 16), it was succeeded from the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology through the National University Corporation which then became owned by Nagasaki University.
The building represents English-style brickwork in its architecture. Red brick in contrast with the white lintel emphasizing vertical lines creates an impressive expression in the appearance. The furniture before being bombed, including the chandelier, still remains. Most of the early modern buildings were dismantled from the end of the Meiji era to the beginning of the Taisho era. However, there are few valuable assets such as the “Keirin Hall” that symbolize the prosperity of former times in Nagasaki.
It was enrolled in the Cultural Assets Registration original ledger in October 2007 (Heisei 19) by a rule of the Cultural Properties Protection Act Article 57 Clause 1.
2 Faculty of Economics Warehouse (Old Nagasaki Commercial High School Warehouse) 経済学部倉庫（旧長崎高商倉庫）Work for the construction on this warehouse started on June 6 in 1906 (Meiji 39) and was completed on February 28 in 1907 (Meiji 40). It was constructed about the same time the old main building and the old lecture hall at the time of the commemoration for Nagasaki Commercial High School. The old main building was dismantled in 1970 (Showa 45), and the current main building was completed the following year, on March 25, 1971 (Showa 46). This warehouse is the only building existing that is from the time of the Nagasaki Commercial High School foundation.
The building represents English-style brickwork in its walls, the room interior is composed of Western-style wooden construction, and the stone work includes gentle curves etched into the lintel of the window foundation which accents the solid brick wall surface creating a strong and dignified atmosphere. The warehouse architecture of the late 1890s (Meiji 30s) is stored in large quantities in the former Sasebo naval station (the current US military base), but there are few buildings of this time period in Nagasaki, and the value is high for modern baked brick warehouses.
It is enrolled in the Cultural Assets Registration original ledger in October 2007 (Heisei 19) by a rule of the Cultural Properties Protection Act Article 57 Clause 1.
3 Komaneki Bashi （Old Nagasaki Commercial High School Komaneki Bashi） （Komaneki Bridge） 拱橋（旧長崎高商拱橋）Komaneki Bridge was constructed in the era of Nagasaki Commercial High School on November 30 in 1903 (Meiji 36) which was a forerunner of the Nagasaki University Faculty of Economics. During this time period, Japanese bridge technology was moving from stone bridges to steel reinforced concrete bridges, and bridges were built in both the upstream and downstream reaches of the river in those days. Because it was considered not good for a steel-truss bridge to be in front of the main gate of the school, a more welcoming open-spaced arched bridge was chosen. The surface for the stones was processed finely and this bridge has a handsome modern design that was different from the innate stone construction bridge designs of Japan.
It is enrolled in the Cultural Assets Registration original ledger in December in 2007 (Heisei 19) by a rule of the Cultural Properties Protection Act Article 57 Clause 1.
4 Muto Archives Exhibition Room 武藤文庫展示室More than 10,000 precious documents such as books, magazines, paintings and calligraphic work by Dr. Chozo Muto are displayed. “Nagasaki Dejima Island Drawings” a masterpiece of Keiga Kawahara who was a painter who lived in Nagasaki at the end of the Edo era are also on display.
5 Gatepost of the Nagasaki Commercial High School 長崎高等商業学校の門柱Nagasaki Commercial High School which was a forerunner of the Nagasaki University Faculty of Economics was established as the third commercial high school in 1905 (Meiji 38) as the third commercial high school next to Tokyo Commercial High School and Kobe Commercial High School. The gatepost, which is reminiscent of the past, was transferred to the current place in 1975 (Showa 50).
6 Cenotaph 慰霊塔（いれいとう）This cenotaph was erected in 1928 (Showa 3) to commemorate the deceased alumni of the Faculty of Economics including alumni from the Nagasaki Commercial High School era. 26 alumni who were sacrificed by the atomic bomb are also enshrined here.